Humminbird products call for a Slow Blow or MDL equivalent fuse to be installed in the power cable. The Amp size will be listed in the installation guide for your specific product.
Below we will list the materials and steps needed to properly install an in-line fuse.
Fuses and fuse holders can normally be purchased from a local automotive supply retailer, but there are many online retailers available as well. We do not recommend any specific brands or styles.
Our PC 11 power cable (pictured below) does NOT have an in-line fuse preinstalled. The circled object is a built-in electrical noise filter.
- Wire cutting pliers
- Wire stripping pliers
- Marine fuse holder
- Butt-splice crimp connectors (match gauge to the wire in use)
- Crimping pliers
- Slow Blow fuse with correct Amperage for your product
In-line Fuse Installation Steps
- Disconnect the power cable from the battery or power source.
- Cut the positive, or "hot", wire as near to the battery/power source as possible using the wire cutting pliers.
- Keep in mind you will need some excess wire to strip
- Strip 1/4-inch off each end of the separated wires with the wire stripping pliers.
- Strip 1/4-inch off each of the wires on the ends of the fuse holder.
- Be sure to hold firmly each wire when stripping to avoid damaging the fuse holder's internal connections.
- Twist the end of the wire from the power source creating a spiral to make the stripped ends firm for connecting.
- Insert the twisted wire from the power source into one end of a crimp connector and crimp tightly with the crimping pliers.
- Using the crimping pliers, insert either end of the fuse holder wires into the other end of the butt-splice connector. Make certain that both ends are securely fastened.
- While clamping the wire, twist the leading device wire and put it into a butt-splice connection.
- Twist the fuse holder's other wire end and place it into the butt splice attached to the wire heading to the device, then crimp down.
- Check all crimps and make certain that they are creating a firm connection.
- Insert the properly rated amperage fuse into the fuse holder.
- Connect the two halves of the fuse holder by compressing them together and then twisting to lock into place.
- Restore terminal connection to the battery or power source.